March of Time

1917 Jan 16th Buddhist Girls' College opened at Turret road, Colombo. 20 students enrolled with Dr. Banning as Principal and Mr. W. A. De Silva as Trustee.
1921 First head girl - Ida Gunawardena
  First Prize Giving
  First Sports Meet
1923 Enrollment of Girl Guides
1927 Renaming of the school to Visakha Vidyalaya at new premises at Vajira Road
1929 Old Girls' Day Celebration
1933 Passing away of Mrs. Jeremias Dias
1934 Founding of the Old Girls' Association
1946 Introduction of science stream in to the curriculum
1947 The First Visakha Jayanthi celebrations at the school premises
  Conferred Grade 1 status
  Naming of the Houses - Dias, Dawes, Jayatilaka & Motwani
1952 Becomes a non fee levying School
1952 The 2nd Visakha Jayanthi at the school premises
  Staging of the "Visakha Geetha Natakaya"
  Gifting of the Geethanjali Amarasuriya Memorial Library by Mr. & Mrs. H. W. Amarasuriya
1961 Management taken over by the State.
1967 Visakha Swarna Jayanthi celebrations at the Race Course, Colombo
1971 Obtains new sports grounds
  Pulimood House is begun
1982 Visakha Jayanthi Carnival
1983 Opening of the Jeremias Dias Memorial Hall by the President of Sri Lanka
  The "Bo maluwa" & its precincts completed & gifted by Mr. U. N. Gunasekera
1987 Sports pavilion gifted by the OGA
  "Avurudu Pola" organised by the OGA
1992 75th anniversary celebrations - School Exhibition, Re-staging of "Visakha Geetha Natakaya", Trade & Fun fair at The Sathutu Uyana, Colombo.
1993 A second modern computer unit was donated to the school by the  Old Girls' Association.
1995 Laying the foundation stone for the Indoor Stadium
1997 80th  Anniversary celebrations
  Audio Visual Unit donated in memory of Inoka Gunaratna
1998 The Visakha Vidyalaya website - - was launched on 04th April, and mainly funded by the old girls in the USA.
  Establishment of the Clara Motwani Welfare Fund for the benefit of the staff.
  The Visakha Vidyalaya archives were established by the OGA and declared open by Mrs. M.N. Edussuriya on her last day of office as principal.
1999 Construction of the New School Hostel Building
2001 Junior Computer Unit donated by the OGA
  Cafeteria & The Reading Room constructed in the Bogainvillea Building, was donated by the OGA British branch
  The first Colours Night
2004 State-of-the-art computer centre was donated by the OGA on 01st of Dec
2007 90th anniversary celebrations
  Laying the foundation stone for the school Swimming Pool